Creativity

So it seems I only blog when asked to, and that pretty much comes down to the summers when I am studying and asked to reflect, but hey, why not?!?
Did I learn anything new about creativity in the last 4 weeks? Yes... and No.

I have always thought as creativity as being useful in education, useful in the classroom, and therefore a part of schooling that shouldn't be overlooked. One that I, at least, always seek to bring about in my classroom. Here's the catch though- I'm not sure that I really ever considered creativity as a learning tool to be directly applied to content. I've always thought about it as a method of loosening up bodies, minds and thoughts, so that they are not bound by rigidity. Rigidity in behavior, thought and expectations is a HUGE barrier to learning in so many ways. I guess what I never thought about Creativity is the nitty gritty structure of it. Creativity is not the same thing as imagination- although you do have have imagination to be creative. You have to be able to let go. Let go. I think that is why I incorporate it into my classroom, into my life. Good quote by Mike D, Play is to Imagination, as Games are to Creativity. Structure. ¿Rules? A process and components rather than just randomness and free fly.

Did I try anything new in the last 4 weeks to facilitate my own personal creativity? Well, I guess I am constantly doing learning finding exploring ways to do things differently, to do things fun-ly to use and expand my creativity. Specifically in the last 4 weeks? Ireland? Dublin? MAET? Year 3? YES!
Time restraints!!! Sometimes (and often with me!) creativity can get, not stifled, but blown away, washed out, faded- that is, I lose interest, and am looking for something new. Maybe something I started out with creatively gets sidetracked, left behind. Or maybe it never really gets explored, because I put too much thought into it- so much so that I get bored of it before taking action. So, yes, time constraints I would say, have forced me to put that creative thinking into practice- here, now, done. And there is a certain satisfaction in that. Whether it be a personal accomplishment, skill tied into creativity, something to share, or just something done.

I have felt creative throughout most of this summer, in fact, I'd been looking forward to it  for a while now, knowing that my creativity would be explored, taken apart, roused up, and jacked up. Specifically speaking, Sparks was super. Throughout each assignment, quickfire, reflection, moment, I don't think I felt a moment of non-creativity. Even the difficulties and frustrations I might have encountered at times just forced me to find a way around, over, under or through- and what a way to flex those creativity muscles.
 I have felt pretty creative throughout, except maybe when it came to breakfast. Toast or cereal?

I learned that creativity is not about randomness, unplanned, spur-of-the-moment actions, although it can be, but that a certain kind of awareness and structure make creativity into a tool, a method, something share-able, something teachable. What did I learn about myself? That I am capable of sitting and doing. That for maybe the first time in my life I was able to not procrastinate until the last moment at each and every turn, although there were quite a few bends in there. Did I learn anything more? I'm sure I did. Patience. Patience with someone else's difficulty in letting go of safe and willing to be creative. That still gets me though. It irks.
This is still not about me. Hmmm.

Two goals. Something I might do differently to facilitate my personal creativity in the next year. Not lose sight of DOING. I think that might be a big one, especially with a new little one on the way- with the change of life that's coming about. DO DO DO. ...
At work? In class? How about at home? I have a prime student for better facilitating creativity, one that doesn't like to be treated as a student. I'll have to get creative. How about trying to better foster creativity in my husband so that together we can create a creative place for our child? How do I make someone see that creativity doesn't necessarily mean painting the walls green and blue and telling bedtime stories off the top of your head?

Comments

Popular Posts