Let's Revisit Day One
How do we learn?
How do we transfer to new contexts?
How do we forget?
What drives us to learn?
What do these questions mean for how we teach?
What role does technology play in this?
We all learn differently. That's is what is so amazing, yet so difficult about teaching, about being a student, about learning. I could meet you 5 times in two days, having you introduce yourself each time- and not remember your name. But if I turn around and tell somebody something about you, "Joe just picked his nose," chances are I'll remember it. So how do I learn? By doing. By using. By applying. How do I forget? By not.
Not doing.
Not using.
Not applying.
I think the drive has a lot to do with it, too. If you're just not interested in learning something, that little switch inside your brain can often get stuck in that "off" position. Nothing coming in, nothing going out. How do you apply this to students? You have to hit their "On" buttons. Make them interested. Find a connection. Give them a connection. Make it fun. Make it absurd. Funny. Scary. HARD. But doable.
What is the connection these days? Technology. Students get it. They use it. They understand it. So what do we do? Get it. Use it.
How do we transfer to new contexts?
How do we forget?
What drives us to learn?
What do these questions mean for how we teach?
What role does technology play in this?
We all learn differently. That's is what is so amazing, yet so difficult about teaching, about being a student, about learning. I could meet you 5 times in two days, having you introduce yourself each time- and not remember your name. But if I turn around and tell somebody something about you, "Joe just picked his nose," chances are I'll remember it. So how do I learn? By doing. By using. By applying. How do I forget? By not.
Not doing.
Not using.
Not applying.
I think the drive has a lot to do with it, too. If you're just not interested in learning something, that little switch inside your brain can often get stuck in that "off" position. Nothing coming in, nothing going out. How do you apply this to students? You have to hit their "On" buttons. Make them interested. Find a connection. Give them a connection. Make it fun. Make it absurd. Funny. Scary. HARD. But doable.
What is the connection these days? Technology. Students get it. They use it. They understand it. So what do we do? Get it. Use it.
Comments
Post a Comment